The reason I call this the cloud tutu is because there is no way to control it - it's just messy and puffy, fluffy and over the top! The OCD part of me took a while to acknowledge its cuteness but cuteness won out. After you get the hang of it, it's quite simple to make - although, I have to admit, the first one took way longer than I had anticipated. The second one was easy and quick. I also learned that cutting the tulle with a paper cutter is much easier and creates a neater cut.
One of the great things about this project is that there is no sewing required! Here are the instructions and my thoughts on how to simplify the project:
1-1/2 yards of tulle
1 foot of headband stretch ribbon
1 button or some ribbon
Optional - pony beads in coordinating colors
Now the instructions:
- Combine two strips and feed into every other opening of the headband ribbon
- Pull through halfway and then tie into a simple knot (be sure not to tie too tight)
- Continue until the desired width is achieved (based on child's waist)
- Either sew together using a sewing machine or hand sew a button to join the ends.
- If you want to add extra embellishment, string beads onto every other strand or attach bow
Voila! The tutu is ready for twirling by your little princess!