Here are some thoughts, from varying sources, to keep in mind as we continue to travel the road of defending Religious Liberty. May this be a turning of the tide.
1. "If you are discussing the Hobby Lobby case with friends, remind them that the administration was trying to force religious employers not only to buy contraceptives for their employees, but also abortifacient drugs... drugs which kill unborn human beings in the womb. Thank God it was overturned by one vote today."
~Fr-Andrew R. Moore (Facebook friend)
2. The justices' 5-4 decision is the first time that the high court has ruled that profit-seeking businesses can hold religious views under federal law. Justices: Can't Make Employers Cover Contraception
3. Justices Elena Kagan, Sonia Sotomayor, and Steven Breyer joined Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who wrote the dissent saying, "Reading the Act expansively, as the court does, raises a host of “Me, too” questions. Can an employer in business for profit opt out of coverage for blood transfusions, vaccinations, antidepressants, or medications derived from pigs, based on the employer’s sincerely held religious beliefs opposing those medical practices.”
As we can surmise from this verbiage, those who oppose this decision will have more to say and will try to win others over to their 'side'. There are more cases pending, including the one being brought by EWTN. We must remain vigilant in prayer, action, and discernment.
4. The 'tolerance' crowd is frightening when they lose! Only moments after the decision was announced, there were stories of threats to Hobby Lobby. Liberals call for burning Hobby Lobby after Supreme Court decision. Pray for all involved - that love, justice and cooler heads prevail.
5. While this decision is certainly a victory for Religious Liberty, there's much more work to be done. Although Hobby Lobby sought relief from ObamaCare, its owners/lawsuit only opposed four of 20 forms of contraception the mandate required employers to offer to employees at not cost. The Catholic side of the HHS Mandate opposition coin maintains its objection to being required to provide all contraceptives, sterilization, and abortive 'services' because they are all recognized to be an intrinsic evil.
As we can surmise from this brief list, there remains much work to be done in God's vineyard. Let's band together, as the people of God, in a unified effort to promote the prevailing of justice.
+ + +
NOTE: I'll be adding more to this list as information becomes available. Feel free to share relevant stories and facts via the combox.
6. EWTN Wins Big Pro-Life Victory Against HHS Mandate on Heels of Hobby Lobby Decision
7. And the faulty analogies begin. From my combox: "You want the religious liberty of employers forcing their religious views on employees. If a Saudi Prince buys up WalMart can he force the staff to bow to Mecca five times a day? That's what this Hobby Lobby decision is about."
My response: "Your analogy is faulty. Refusing to PAY for others' contraception is not the same and depriving them from using it by buying it for themselves. I love to garden - should you be forced to buy my flowers? No, of course you shouldn't. But I can garden to my heart's content by buying my own supplies!"
|The comment above inspired this meme.|
8. Remember those 'Keep Your Rosaries Off My Ovaries' posters. I felt compelled to respond:
You can also find both the posters and a Facebook profile picture on the Designs by Birgit fan page.
|Feel free to share this poster on Facebook.|