Keeping in mind how much fun I had when making my cookie bouquet I resolved to make this a craft with the kids...but I lack the time and patience for an all out, full blown batch. So here is the guilt-free, quickie Nana version:
- Animal Crackers - I buy a gallon-sized container from Sams (they store forever)
- Sugar cookie frosting recipe
- Paper plates
- Dole out a few cookies per child and place on paper plate
- Make frosting and flavor (we used lemon juice)
- Tint to favorite color (the princesses like pink)
- Place bowl of frosting between kids and give each child a spoon.
- They can drizzle or spread, depending on ability (I worked with a 2 and 4 year old)
- Place sprinkles into a small cup and allow children to pinch a bit and sprinkle or pour.
- Voila', you now have frosted cookies
- Let them stand until frosting hardens.
- Use as bargaining tool throughout the day ;-)
Although this condensed version lacks the panache of the adult
variety, the kids are happy and think that they are just as tasty. If you've ever noticed, kids seem to like the taste of anything that they have helped to 'create'.
No baking, minimal mess and happy campers all around!