First order of business? Grab a bottle of wine, as Julia Child used to say (and I'm paraphrasing), maybe a bit of it will wind up in your dish as well. For this meal, might I suggest a nice dry white?
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 pork roast (loin)
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 pkg fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T Italian seasoning
- 1 T basil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (see I told you!)
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese (use the good stuff and grate it yourself)
- Do the same with the mushrooms until they are nicely cooked. If your pan is small, cook mushrooms in two batches so that their natural moisture doesn't 'steam' them. Reserve.
- Now sweat the green peppers.
- Combine all of the vegetables, pasta sauce, seasoning and wine. Pour over pork roast in crock pot and allow to simmer for 4-6 hours on medium.
Since there is a vast difference in crock pots, you might want to adjust the setting. Mine cooks very hot and I make sure that it's simmering but not outright bubbling.
- Spoon Pork Cacciatore over pasta and then sprinkle with a goodly amount of grated cheese, allowing it to melt!
NOTE: this would also make an excellent (and quicker) meatless dish, served over pasta or zucchini.