Monday, February 27, 2012

Rainy Days and Mondays...German Pancake Rollups

As the old Carpenters song bemoaned (yes, I'm old), 'rainy days and Mondays always get me down'.
But with a little creativity and a dash of love, it doesn't have to be that way! I think I'll make my Rainy Days and Monday idea a regular post. Isn't it better to start the week with a bit of a smile in your heart - and in this case your tummy as well?

As a child, who spent her first 9 years of life in Germany, I have acquired both tastes and recipes from that culture. Isn't it funny, then, that I had never heard of 'German pancakes'?! My dear husband, and co-chef, surprised me one weekend morning (yes, I know I'm lucky) with this tasty recipe. Originally, the ingredients were intended to be mixed and then poured into a cast iron skillet and baked in the oven. The result was a thick, tasty egg dish that was great with syrup.

Of course, creative person that I am (who never found a recipe she couldn't change), I decided to make it into a 'fun food'! So without further ado, I present German Pancake Rollups!


INGREDIENTS

  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 T sugar
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1 pinch salt
  • Butter
  • Optional toppings







SIMPLE as PIE!

  • Break eggs into your blender and beat slightly.
  • Add all other ingredients (except butter) and blend.





  • Place a crepe pan (any small pan will do) onto medium heat and add about 1/3 pat of butter. Melt.
  • Add just enough of the mixture to cover bottom of pan and cook until it is solid enough to turn.
  • I make two at a time to speed up the process although it doesn't take long to cook these.




  • Flip over and immediately place onto plate.





NOW for the FUN PART!

  • Add the filling of your choice.

              Sugar and cinnamon
              Fruit preserves
              Nutella (yum)
              Pureed fruit (strawberries come to mind)

  • Spread  filling evenly, roll tightly and then slice into bite-sized pieces.



YUMMY Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback...I love to know what is on your mind! My comment section is set for moderation and your post will be visible shortly!