We have the number one abortion provider of our land, Planned Parenthood, spending our tax dollars with abandon - even as they are shown on tape brokering aborted baby parts. The Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts have lost their way in the new sexual 'norms' of society. Our president pushes abortion here and abroad - even attaching aid to the poor to compliance with his morally repugnant policies.
It is no wonder that I find myself shying away from the news - even from the good sources - and from much of social media. There is an overload of horrifying information that makes being in the know almost unbearable.
Occasionally, though, my eyes come across things that are so outrageous that I feel compelled to read and share, in the interest of meeting life head-on. There is much about which to be prayerful, penitent, and dependent on the hope of Jesus.
The stories below fall under that heading. How can we be faithful witnesses for Him if we are not prepared to warn others of the atrocities being committed right under our noses? How can we be a part of the solution, when we do not reach out to inform and pray?
5 Outrageous But True News Stories
1. You’re Kidding, Right? 11-Year-Olds Can Be Implanted with Birth Control Devices at School without Parental Consent - That's right. In the state (yes, this is a United States of America story) the same little girls who can't be given an aspirin without parental approval, can have an IUD implanted at school. There's more.
2. Catholic Care Home Sued for Refusing Euthanasia - This one is from Belgium but still qualifies. Who in the world would think that a 'care' home should do anything but care for their patients? Apparently our culture of death does. It's not like we haven't already crossed that bridge here in the United States.
3. Black Lawmakers Call White Congressman Racist Because He Condemned Aborting Black Babies - As if it's not bad enough that minority children are being killed by abortion at a higher rate than white children. Now, black supporters of abortion are pulling the race card on those who want to stop the eugenics.
4. Mom Accidentally DROPS Baby At Home, Rushes Him To Hospital. Now He’s In Foster Care - This is certainly not an isolated incident. We all know that similar things are going on all over the world as well. Parents are similarly penalized for wanting to home educate, medically treat their children (or not), or for wanting to abstain from age-inappropriate sex education.
5. Obamacare Might Force Doctors to Perform Sex-Reassignment Surgeries - By now we're all familiar with the Obamacare Individual Mandate. It requires everyone to get government-approved health insurance or face punitive IRS penalties. We also know about the Health and Human Services (HHS) contraception mandate - it requires even religious institutions like the Little Sisters of the Poor, to help provide insurance coverage for abortifacient drugs or face millions of dollars of fines. Now the HHS is considering a “Gender Identity Mandate”, which would require doctors and insurers to provide or cover “gender transition” treatments. If they refuse, they will face discrimination charges, potential loss of federal funds, and loss of Medicaid reimbursements.Reading these stories is not uplifting. Inconceivable as they are, they are a part of our society. As human beings we may sometimes find ourselves wanting to shy away from harsh reality and focus only on the good in life. Yet, as faithful Catholics, we need to make ourselves aware of the evil in the world so that we can combat it - as a part of the Church Militant.
That is not to say that we should focus on evil or get some perverse 'train wreck' pleasure from it. We should simply acknowledge that evil, does indeed, exist and is something with which humanity battles daily.
Let us put on the armor of God, be aware of the world and warn others, and pray with a faith that cannot be cowed to evil.
Saint Michael the Archangel...